Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Why I HATE being called Black

Basically the thesaurus meaning.
Black has negative connotation attached to it, where as white has mostly positive connotation.
and its not a stupid question at all because I often say "black" because its easier to say "african American" in conversation,
but if I'm actively thinking about it Ill say African-American.
But the word black is mostly looked at negatively:
Black plague/death, black tuesday (stock market crash), black market, blacklisted, black spring, black hearted, black mail, black sheep, A black dot in caste system means "untouchable/untrustables"
To me, on a subconscious level (in my mind, your brain associated words with images/feelings/ideas) when you hear 'black' you just think bad automatically without realizing it.
Then theres white, which is commonly thought of as the opposite of black, which is mostly viewed in a better light. "Human culture has many references to white, often related to purity and cleanness"-wikipedia.
So people think "white and black" and connect that to, "day and night", "Good and evil" (good~ god, evil~devil). SO to me, your brain connects all that together.
I'd MUCH rather be thought of as chocolate, granted it is objectification, but between "black" and chocolate, I'd prefer the later. People desire chocolate, people love chocolate, but yea.
I get that I might be stretching... But the way I try to describe it... (and this is a little weird to, but work with me)
IMAGINE if the word for women was bitch lets say 400 years ago. No biggie back then, if you said 'bitch' it just meant women. So people would say "Bitchs and Gentleman" like they would say "Ladies and Gentlemen" because it wasnt a big deal, because that was the word for it at the time, and there was no real negative connotation for it back then.
Fastfoward 400 years... Now the word "bitch" has so much negative connotation to it. So now, you hear "bitch" and you cringe because of the associations that go with it, but you hear it all the time because....... The word for women was bitch back then and now its still used. That sort of what I am getting at. The word associated with a race is the same word associated with "dirty, unclean, evil, untrustable, illegal"
Hopefully this doesnt sound like a psycho-conspiracy FIGHT THE POWER babble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment